Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Wednesday, December 15, 2004

I may have an ulcer soon; or, procrastination is fun for a while, but it always catches up to you

Well, it is really crunch time now. I have finished the two essays that I meant to have done a week ago. I am working on my last essay now, and still need to do my 20 thesis pages, which I haven't started, for Monday. Tomorrow night Andrew and I are spending together, and Friday we are making Christmas cookies. I really shouldn't be spending my time socializing and baking, but Andrew is important to me, so I am making time (break out the "Awwwwww"s...we're so cute!). Sunday is the Laurier English girl reunion, which I don't think I can go to, and Taves Christmas, which I have to go to. If I still had my car, I'd do both, but being sans auto has really been cramping my style. But I won't get into that. I whine enough about having sold my car as it is.

My last essay just got a shot of heroin as I came up with a thesis that I am actually super-excited about. I am almost excited enough to pull another all-nighter like I did on Sunday-to-Monday night, but that's probably not the best idea. My thesis is going to be about how both the laws and legal process surrounding domestic violence in British family law and Angela Carter's story "The Bloody Chamber" seem to punish women for having knowledge against patriarchy. Isn't that neat? So much better than any other thesis I've put together for a while (with the exception of my I'm the King of the Castle presentation - I was quite proud of my comparison of Charles to a Romantic child). Anyway, wish me luck with this vast load of schoolwork that I procrastinated until now.

Tonight I visited my grandma in the hospital, or rehab clinic or whatever it is that she's in. She broke her hip a few weeks ago, and is in rehab to deal with it. She is doing well, and is coming home for the weekend for Taves Christmas. It was great to see her again. The clinic where she's staying has a lounge with a small bar on the main floor. Tonight there was live music - a band of slightly alcoholic-looking middle aged fellows playing oldies and country. My dad, aunt, uncle, grandma and I took in the show. Considering that for most of the time I was the youngest person there by at least 30 years, and that most people were in wheelchairs, it wasn't the most rocking performance I've ever been too. However, there was beer and the music was good, for the genre. Having family time was great, and my beer came to me free courtesy of Dad, so no complaints there.

I'm still so excited about this thesis! I hope that my essay goes as well on paper as it is in my head. I also hope that this one won't take me as long to finish as my law essay, since I'm actually excited about it. This is the spark that's been missing in my English work lately. Suddenly I've remembered why I'm torturing myself in grad school (which Andrea so aptly described as craptacular) - it's because English is so neat!!! When it's not bogged down in formalities and requirements, it's freaking awesome! Ideas rock!

Anyway, I'm hitching a ride with my Dad into Stratford in the morning to see if my film has been developed and to perhaps buy cookie ingredients, so I must get some sleep. Wish me happy writing!


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home