Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Thursday, November 24, 2005

A harrowing, eventful day

So, today was my second day at this temp placement. It was more stressful than my first day. The stress began right when I went in. I keyed in the security code that they gave me, sat down at the desk and started getting my stuff organized. The phone rings. It is the alarm company. "Hello. We got a distress call from your office... The police will be over momentarily." And they were. Great. Just after the cop leaves, I get a call from the supervisor. "You know that there was a distress call? They're sending the RCMP over." My first thought was "Hee hee...RCMP..." because we don't really have them in Ontario. My next was, this is so embarassing.

I had to leave for an appointment this morning. 10 minutes before I go, one of the others in the office drops a pile of stuff on my desk and says, "This needs to be in Edmonton ASAP. Make sure it goes out today." Then the phone rings. It is the payroll person. "Hello. I'm sending you some cheques right now that have to go out to site ASAP." I should take this opportunity to clarify that my job description was "All you have to do is answer the phones - don't worry about anything else." Expectedly, my training included answering the phones and nothing else. So, this courier stuff panicked me a little, especially since I had to do it in 10 minutes so as not to be late for my interview.

Went to the interview. I was the slightest bit late. I will talk about the interview in a second. I drove back to the office. I get there and see that the alarm had been set. Crap, I think to myself. But, I figure that I can type the code in properly this time. So, I go in, punch in the code, the alarm stops, I sigh with relief. The phone rings. You can probably see where this is going. "We got a distress call from your office..." Swear words were running around my head. I wanted to cry, especially when I saw what the supervisor had written on my timesheet about me leaving. However, it all started to look up not long after that. The supervisor came in and told me that the code I had was wrong. They had added a new code to the keypad yesterday, which apparently made the old code into the panic code, as opposed to the shut off code. So, it wasn't my fault that the cops had to come to the office. Also I explained to the supervisor about my appointment and it seemed to go OK.

I don't want to jinx it, but the interview seemed to go very well. I will find out tomorrow. Please keep your fingers crossed for me. This is one of the jobs where they pick you up and drop you off so you don't have to drive to work. Imagine - no winter driving for Heidi! There are lots of other good things about this job too. I am really hoping that it works out.

Zenon's Christmas beard is really filling in now. The stubble was sexy for about 4 days, but we have very much passed that point by now. I am waiting very excitedly for the Christmas shave. Z and I are getting a housemate tomorrow. One of the landlords is taking of the bedrooms across the hall. It will be different to have to share. Z and I are also looking into finding ourselves a private apartment.

Well, I guess it's time for dinner. The weather today was sunny and +1. It sounds like Ontario got hit with quite the snowstorm. I would laugh at them, but I know that we will be getting hit soon, and for 5 months, so I will save my laughter.

P.S. If you are my sister you should not have read this entry as you are getting a letter with this information in it. Act surprised when it arrives.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home