Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Thursday, May 19, 2005

Bottled air - but in a good way

I was walking home from Ashley's tonight and trying to breathe in as much of the delicious night air as I could along the way (a task complicated by the fact that I was suffering from an allergic reaction to her cats - for the first time ever). The air was so moist, so alive, and it smelled of the ocean and trees and growth. I thought to myself that I wish that I could bottle that scent and breathe it in everytime I get depressed like I have been the past couple of weeks. The scents in that air remind me of so many positive things. The ocean smell reminds of my previous trips to the Maritimes - all of which have been pleasant vacation trips with my Mom (and last year also my sister). It is the smell of fun times and quiet times and travelling and being with family and pure restful enjoyment. The tree smell reminds me of growing up in the country and of all the dreams I had as a kid. When I was little, there was so much that I thought I could do with my life. Smelling that air and remembering those possibilities reminds of how much I still have left to do, and it reminds me to believe again that I can do it. The smell of growing reminds me of how much more to life there is than my laptop and my assignments and my stress. It reminds me that those things aren't the things that are real - it is the trees and the earth and the flowers and the grass and so on that are actually real and actually important. Everything else is a construction. I need to remember to focus on the real part of me, and not to get caught up in the dilemmas that I create for myself. I have an essence that is just as real and just as full of potential as those growing things that I can smell, and that is the part of me that I have to hang onto.

Like dandelion wine, I wish that I could keep all of these feelings in a bottle to uncork when needed. When sad, I'd get drunk on myself and on all of the things that I can accomplish. This is what I'd like.

1 Comments:

At May 20, 2005 10:18 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Prove it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home