Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Friday, February 04, 2005

I'm an English geek

So, I just watched the movie Wimbledon. I have a few things to say about it. First of all, can we please someday see a movie about a beautiful romance that happens in more than 2 weeks? Maybe I'm cynical, but I think that falling in love with someone that quickly is a delusion. After watching Garden State, where the characters fall in love in less than a week, and now this movie, I'm feeling like the rising divorce rate has been accounted for. I consider myself a romantic, but the love story I'd like to see involves people who take the time to get to know each other before declaring their mutual love. These people each know the faults of their partner, but love them anyway. They work together as a team, and while they have problems, they work through them. Maybe this wouldn't make for an exciting movie (so maybe throw in a car chase scene or something) but at least we could relate to it.

When I wasn't getting mad at the totally unrealistic love story in Wimbledon, I was thinking about how this movie hearkens back to Medieval romances. The whole idea of courtly love was there, albeit in a slightly modified form. During the final scene, when Peter is playing for the tournament victory (sorry for the spoiler, but it's not like you don't see it coming), and all through the movie actually, it's made clear that his inspired playing comes from his relationship with Lizzie. It made me think of Medieval knights at tournaments, playing to earn the favour of their ladies. I was particularly reminded of Lancelot when L. is fighting Malegeant, and it looks bad, and then he looks up towards the tower where Guenevere is watching, and comes back to win, mostly because this is exactly what happens to Peter (sorry again). It is clear that he wants to win his tournament (this one's a tennis tournament, not jousting, but it's pretty similar all the same) to do honour to his lady. He gets his inspiration from his lady, and his winning is tied to his reputation (endorsement contracts etc.) and to keeping his lady's love. I was expecting Lizzie to give Peter some sort of love token that he would tie on his lance, er...tennis raquet, during the match. The fact that the final match was between the two men who were fighting for the lady's heart throughout the story also made another connection back to courtly love themes (if courtly love actually exists, but that's a whole other debate), and it reminded that societal definitions of gender have not actually changed that much since the Middle Ages. The woman is still the prize to be earned through battle, while her own trials are either not considered, or are made secondary. We do learn at the end of the film that Lizzie goes on to win Wimbledon twice, but we never see this happen. It's a postscript. Her own battle is secondary. I found the links to Medieval romance to be very interesting.

All that being said, it was an enjoyable movie, for its genre. I'm still not a fan of Kirsten Dunst, but she annoyed me much less in this film than she did in the Spiderman movies, so that's good. More importantly, her love interest, the knight of the tennis court, was British (suitably), and he was of course a very hende knight, courteous in all respects.

6 Comments:

At February 05, 2005 8:13 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Heidi,

Damn, courtly love just will not die -- it's everywhere! I liked your post. The attention to detail is extensive. I swear, you're title should be "I'm a sensor." Are you sure you're not? Your writing reminds me alot of my friend Sally's who is an ISTJ (or FJ -- it's difficult to tell that function in introverts). She's an awesome editor and has a blog much like yours, complete with experimental recipes (no taco dip, sadly). Apparently sensors are inclined to writing interesting stuff -- ie: Hemmingway was an ISTP. I hate how Myers Briggs makes them sound so literal and dull --it's really not like that at all.

anyhoo, see you in class!

-- Janice

 
At February 05, 2005 8:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

That was great. A movie about tennis and you said courtly love. Ah, the deliciousness on a oun-filled update makes me smirk.

Also, in the Spiderman Movies, Kirtsen has to act that way, she is protraying an already established character, so she has to stay true to the vision of her creators. Its like why every Bond has to act basically the same, which might be why I don't like bond movies. Is it wrong to think that he should die every once in a while? Maybe I just really liked Aeon Flux and am expecting too much out of no-good action writters that won't let a passable at best character die. I got the title of the next bond movie picked out already for them. James Bond: The final payment on the beach house.

ZXC

 
At February 05, 2005 10:49 AM, Blogger Andrew said...

You're not just an English geek, babe.

Yesterday at the Halo 2 tournament/fundraiser, there was *one* girl who registered for the tournament, out of nearly 50 people. And, if you can believe it, she was smoking hot!

A (female) friend of mine (attending, but only watching) was pointing out the girl's status as the only female participating, but noted that it was because the girl loved playing video games. Apparently, she heard of the tournament, said "I have to go to that!" and invited her boyfriend down from Toronto to play along for the night.

My response to that was, "Yes, I have to admit that liking video games is a quality that more than a few men find extremely attractive in a girl. Let me tell you about my girlfriend..."

I'll let you imagine where it went from there.

SMOOOOOOOCH! 13 days!

 
At February 05, 2005 12:11 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Janice: No, I'm 100% certain that I'm an N. I'm not sure where your comment "attention to detail" is coming from, but it's a good thing that I'm usually bad at, so I will accept your compliment. :)

Zen: So KD's role in Spiderman was to act half asleep the whole time? Because that's what she did. I can understand what you're saying about Bond movies, but even with their unrealistic plotlines, they're still the only action movies that I'll watch by choice. The character of Bond (especially when played by Sean Connery) is what makes those movies - he's so classy. Also, sometimes you get the feeling that Bond movies know how over the top they are. That's the point.

Andrew: Please don't tell me about other "smokin' hot" girls you encounter. I don't really want to know. And don't expect me to ever ever do a post called "I'm a video game geek". I read Questionable Content and not Ctrl-Alt-Del for a reason. I think that my love of English is 100 times more sexy than my enjoyment of video games.

 
At February 05, 2005 12:13 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

P.S. I also should have said in my original post that the idea of falling in love quickly is also one present in Medieval romances. Courtly love often happens at first sight. Funny how little we've changed in some ways from the Middle Ages...

 
At February 06, 2005 7:05 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey Heidi,

Well, from what I’ve learned, sensors enjoy detail and are able to file away in their heads facts and stories from their daily experiences. They have remarkable memories and love to access and scrutinize the new things they encounter in their environment. This is the kind of stuff I find difficult being supposedly predominately intuitive (ie: a space cadet that gets off more from talking about the meaning of life, possibilities, freak incidents and conspiracy theories; as such, I’m terrible at recounting the exact words of recent conversations, thinking back on all of the things I did in a day and the order in which I did them, or at even remembering the colour of the underwear I’m wearing – hmm, this is suddenly moving from PG-13 to NC-17…). I think it might explain why I have to take constant notes in class -- I will not remember the details if I don't. Sensors, on the other hand, are said to place a lot of value and emphasis on what they learn or already know from experience, and that’s what I see going on throughout your blog, and what I meant by my initial comment. Much of what you chronicle is concrete detail of the here-and-now – your observations and musings of things that have happened to you or are about to take place. I suppose that’s probably what all blogs do, so maybe I’m misconstruing the obvious. Anyway, I’m also by no means an authority on this MB stuff, and to be honest, I find it quite limiting as I prefer the fluidity and crossing-over of preferences that happens to everyone in life (ie: although I’m apparently a P, I have to organize my day like a J so that I can actually make it to work on time and hopefully get some $). In many ways, I think MB can be quite restrictive and possibly lead to blanket categorization (after all, it is loosely based on Jung’s archetypes). Plus, can there really be only 16 possible personality types for all of humanity? hmmmmmmm, I’m not so sure…

-- Janice

 

Post a Comment

<< Home