Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Tuesday, March 22, 2005

Tuesday, thou art vanquishéd

I've written many entries in the past about how I just can't seem to get myself together on Tuesdays to leave the apartment. Well, today it finally happened! It was because the water in my building was shut off today for maintenance from 10-4, so I spent the day at school. I got to school at 10:15am. It was painful! I was so tired. Oh well. My cold felt better today, and I've gone the whole day without medicine (not counting menthol rub). I was really tired, though, and still am, actually. Oh well. My day at school was not quite as productive as I would have liked, though I did get some photocopying and some research done, so that's good. I think that I have essay topics chosen for both of my classes. For my Medieval romance class, I want to look at the animal symbolism in Ywain and Gawain and Sir Gowther. There seems to be surprisingly little written about the lion in Y and G though, so we'll see where that ends up. For my confessional poetry class, it took me a long time to think of topics, and now I have too many. I've thought of 3 separate, interesting topics. However, the one I think I'm going with right now is looking at how childbirth and motherhood are represented in the poetry of Sharon Olds and Anne Sexton. Probably no one outside of my program cares what I'm writing my essays on, but oh well. I found a neat book with an essay in it talking about how Sharon Olds re-figures childbirth in her poetry as a heroic quest. This sounds like a really interesting thesis.

Something I came across today is that there is a group trying to ban the Comic Sans MS font. I'm not sure how seriously to take them, but they have a manifesto and propaganda flyers and a sticker campaign, and T-shirts to buy. Check it out. I agree, though, that font DOES have its own voice, and should be chosen accordingly.

Sometimes I procrastinate.

My dreams are still vivid and real. I won't bore you with any more here, but I wish that I could record them. They are more entertaining than any book or movie I've encountered lately. Last night, however, they were all sad. There was one about a family whose father had faked his own death, and I uncovered the plot, but then it ended sadly as someone drowned, and in the other one I remember, a friend of mine found out that both his ex-girlfriend and his current girlfriend died within a month of each other. Very upsetting. Ooops... I said I wasn't going to tell you about them. Sorry! Anyway, my baseboard radiators have gotten really loud lately, and sounding like babbling brooks, which probably accounts for all the water imagery in my dreams recently. I wish that I could remember my dreams more clearly and make them into novels.

I've started making phone dates with people. I need to start using my long distance minutes every month. If you would like me to call you, send me an e-mail or post a comment and I will try. Phone dates are fun. I had my first one in recent times last night with Gillian. In typical G and H fashion, we meant to have a short chat since we were both kind of sick, but ended up talking for 2 1/2 hours. It was really good times, though. She's thinking of having an English girls reunion sleepover when I'm home in April, which I think sounds like an awesome idea. Hopefully it works out.

Tomorrow I'm planning on attending a Philosophy lecture on "Theism, Conspiracy Theories and the Problem of Evil". I'm very excited, especially since my thesis will probably head in the paranoia/conspiracy theory direction when I return to it.

Oh, I told Dave that I would write an article this week for the Blueprint magazine. I need to give him a topic by tomorrow. Anyone have any ideas? Maybe I should talk about paranoia and conspiracies. No, they'd be expecting that....

Hmmmm.... I guess that's all for now. I will now return to Sir Gawain and the Green Knight, a decidedly difficult Middle English read. Wish me luck!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home