Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Monday, March 14, 2005

It's all about the money... not even nutrition is apolitical these days

I've been noticing lately that it's harder and harder to be considered a paranoid conspiracy theorist, because most conspiracies that I come up with are actually going on. I'm thinking of changing the focus of my thesis to looking at the theme of paranoia in my postmodern novels, and at how the mode of postmodernism is especially applicable to exploring paranoia. Some days, I feel like I'm Oedipa Maas in The Crying of Lot 49. I should clarify is what I mean by paranoia. I came across an interesting definition of paranoia which stated that it is the assumption of connections between disparate objects and events. So, it's Ok to notice that event A takes place and that event B takes place, but once you start thinking that they are connected you're in trouble. However, everything IS connected these days (this is something else that I'll probably pick up on in my new and improved thesis topic). Everything is about money and power, even nutrition. Here is a link to an article in the Globe and Mail about the politics surrounding Canada's Food Guide. The food guide, for goodness' sake! But, as the article points out, this is the second most downloaded federal form (after tax forms), and the food industry is a $60 billion per year operation. There's a lot at stake. There's more I could post about this, but I'm getting sleepy. I feel so deceived, though. I thought that the food guide was supposed to help me eat the proper foods so that I could be the best and healthiest Heidi possible, but what it's really all about is supporting the flagging beef industry, and about dairy's hold on the market, and about the cola companies wanting to be reclassifed so that they are no longer considered "unhealthy". It's enough to make me want to join Andrew on his fast, just to protest.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home