Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Sunday, March 13, 2005

I need a Hero... Gaaaah! That song won't get out of my head!!

I watched the movie Hero last night. I really really like this movie. Visually, it's just stunning, even when watched on my little laptop screen. It must have been breathtaking in the theatre. I love the use of colour, fantasy, and flowing fabrics in every scene.

What I was thinking about last night as I watched the movie was the character of Flying Snow. In the version of the story where she is the Eve figure, whose sexual betrayal leads to Broken Sword's downfall (the first version, the one with all of the red), she wears a lot of makeup, and her lips are painted bright red. Her hair is loose and falls over one eye, hiding her face. In subsequent versions, her hair is pulled back and her face is natural looking. I thought that it was an interesting contrast, and a very overt statement of the stereotypes of the fallen woman - ruthless, red, painted, selfish. Besides that, though, the representation of women is quite atypical. On the surface, they are considered warriors equal to (or better than) the male warriors, and it is Flying Snow whose purpose in the assassination of the king does not waver, unlike Broken Sword's. However, on the other hand, it is Broken Sword (a man) who is considered the equal in swordplay to Nameless, and while Broken Sword's purpose wavers, he has an intelligent, far-seeing reason for that. His reason makes Flying Snow's quest for blood seem petty and short-sighted. So, overall, I'm not sure what I think about the representation of women in this movie, actually. This is one of those films that I'd love to study in class.

Anyway. I made cookies last night. I think that I put in too much margarine or something, but they are still good. It should keep them soft and chewy. I like baking. I feel like I can excuse eating junk food if it's junk food I've prepared myself. The only problem is that now I have a whole batch of cookies (about 32), to eat by myself. I'll have to take some to school tomorrow to give away.

I also saw the movie Hitch yesterday. It was as good as I expected. I find that I just can't deal with love stories anymore, at least not Hollywood ones. I won't start in on that again. I've ranted enough about romantic comedies on this blog already. For all of the problems I had with Hitch though, it did make me laugh out loud a few times, which is good.

Well, enough with the movie reviews. I don't actually have much else to say. This afternoon I'm either going to a free piano concert on campus, or else to see A Very Long Engagement at the newly re-opened Wolfville Cinema. Either way, I should get myself into the shower so I'm clean for my adventures. Off I go!

1 Comments:

At March 14, 2005 5:34 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Tudor,

The multiple narratives DO make it complicated. As hard as it is to have this discussion via posting, I'll see what I can do. I would argue that in the original narrative (with the red) she is portrayed negatively, mostly for the reasons I've outlined above. In the final "true" narrative, I would argue (as I mentioned above) that she is portrayed as determined and strong, but narrow-minded and short-sighted. In the middle narrative, the one concocted by the king, she probably has her best portrayal. I actually don't have a clear argument for this middle narrative, mostly because it's the most fuzzy in my head right now. I'll have to re-watch the movie and get back to you on that one. These ideas then raise the question of who it is who is making these negative assumptions of her - is it Nameless? The writer/director? The king?

Thank you for responding to my ideas. What do you think?

 

Post a Comment

<< Home