Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Sunday, November 21, 2004

Doodle Duel Results

OK, so we had the duel. Since no one posted a suggestion at 3pm, we went with Jason's suggestion of "Nothing". (Sorry Andrea, we'll draw your impossibly difficult suggestion next time). As you can see, mine is far superior. I'm still working on the formatting to get them to be bigger and nicer to look at, although you can click on the pictures to make them big. There is also commentary to post. I'll post it now. And don't forget to vote for your favourite. I'm hoping that since this is my blog, people will vote for me, but I guess we'll see. Vote by leaving a comment because I can't set up any fancy html code for voting.

Heidi: I don't know why we look like we're made of weiners in your drawing

Andrew: OK, so you're a smart person, but what I don't understand is ... why did you dress up the mouse in a sweater?

Heidi: It's not a mouse. It's a thing. See, he even says.

Andrew: so, it's a talking mouse in a sweater? That's very clever. I hope that you have bribed many friends to judge this on your behalf.

Heidi: I'm not worried, sausageman!

Andrew: And perhaps you missed one very important point - 'nothing' is not the same as 'not a thing' or 'no things allowed,' which you do not seem to understand.

Heidi: Le Bank? Where do you bank? Switzerland?

Heidi: Nothing: The absence of things. If Thing is not present, then he is absent, in which case there is nothing, or no Thing.

Andrew: Yeah, but that's clearly a 'no things allowed' sign. Which I don't understand, because who wouldn't like such a cute mouse in a sweater? And yes, I bank in le Switzerland, where they have far too much class to be dressing up their mice in lipstick and sweaters.

Heidi: Why are we wearing flat hats in your picture?

Andrew: Flat hats are all the style in Switzerland, where they have le bank. Why is your mouse wearing lipstick, sicko?

Heidi: And the confusion in your head is probably because you're wondering why you're made of sausage and only have hair on the very top of your head. Where did your hair go? And why is my bum so big in your picture? Thing is not wearing lipstick. It's a great big happy grin.

Andrew: My hair is under le hat, and I am not made of sausage. I used rounded rectangular shapes because they are the best figure for proportionate human beings. Notice, for example, the size of your butt.

Heidi: I'm also noticing the absence of shape in my chest region... what's up with that? And you look like you've put on a few pounds there... mostly in the butt region. Your hair must have migrated down...

Andrew: The thing is clearly wearing lipstick. No living creature has lips that red. You have no shape in your chest because you are running away. Unless, since you've moved to Nova Scotia, you've grown boobs out of your back?

Heidi: I also have no feet. I must not be running away too quickly, since I have no feet!

Andrew: they are running away so quickly with my money that you can barely see them. That is also why your hair is a mess, and why I am so confused.

Heidi: You look like a robot.

Andrew: Would you suggest that I be dressed up in brown, fuzzy footed pajamas, like your abomination of nature?

Heidi: Oh, I thought you were confused because you were wondering how you got stuck in such an ugly drawing! Well, it would certainly be an improvement over your oversized, sausage shaped body.

Andrew: Yeah, at least I understand ENGLISH, Ms. English major. Nothing is clearly the same as 'no things allowed' I think the judges will clearly understand that.

Heidi: Look: Nothing no thing - Both mean the absense of thing. Or, in this case, of Thing. And your picture is a blatant lie. It implies that you spend money buying me presents, which is untrue. Or that I've robbed you. Which is also untrue.

Andrew: my picture heralds the truth from the highest points in the information superhighway! See, you can't even critique my picture without a grab for more presents (=more money).
.
Heidi: Why is there a random green spot on the wall behind us?

Andrew: It is money, flying through the air, slipped through your fingers as you dash away in a hurry.

Heidi: Then why is it an oval?

Andrew: Why is your thing standing in midair? Is it a flying thing? With lipstick, footed pajamas and a voice?

Heidi: Because that's the only shape you can draw? I went for the minimalist look, so that my meaning could more easily comprehended. Unlike you, Mr Fancy-Dancy sidewalk. And bank machine.

Andrew: more easily comprehended ... to cover up for your lack of artistic skills, no doubt.

Heidi: To reduce the clutter... my drawing is clean, simple ... and not spreading slanderous lies, I might add.

7 Comments:

At November 21, 2004 3:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi there, Dan here (for some reason, I couldn't sign in with my own Blog account... freakin' internet),

First, a simple analysis.
Andrew, I now see that we share the pain of being geniuses misunderstood in our own time. Although it may be somewhat inappropriate for me to comment on the financial burden of having Heidi as a girlfriend, in several of the significant relationships I've had, I have experienced a similar predicament to the situation you so aptly depict. From the confusion in your head to the fleeing (albiet, invisible) footsteps of the young lady involved, you have captured something of the essence of the contemporary attached 20something male. Bravo. I also find it surprising that Heidi was so unappreciative of the fact that she seems to be wearing bellbottoms the colour of her fantasy Volkswagen Beetle.

Heidi, as a living, breathing advocate and example of the absurdist movement, I cannot help but to be drawn to Thing's existential dilemma: is Thing allowed or not? The carefree wit and general irreverence of your doodle is enough to overshadow Thing's obvious gender confusion - I can't tell whether Thing is androgenous or a transvestite hooker, complete with gaudy lipstick and tacky furcoat.

In any case, since there is so much that I like about both doodles, I have to leave my vote up to pure chance. The first doodler to mail $5 to:
101 Bernard Ave, #2
Toronto, ON
M5R 1S1
will have my undying support. However, if art is indeed a mirror for life, I'm expecting Heidi to win.

See y'all later,
-Dan

 
At November 21, 2004 5:14 PM, Blogger Andie W. said...

I vote for Heidi with her transvestite thing. Go thing!

 
At November 21, 2004 6:59 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As Heidi's mom, I will just have to place my vote with her, afterall, where do you think she got her talent from? Sorry Andrew.

 
At November 21, 2004 7:03 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

Holy crap, Dan! As if you remembered the powder blue beetle... I didn't even remember it until you alluded to it! That's awesome! I haven't dreamt about it for ages...

 
At November 21, 2004 7:13 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Phil Dilts here.

I'm going to have to vote for Heidi. Is it because I appreciate the simplicity of her approach, or becuase I'm a sucker for square blue bottoms? You decide.

 
At November 21, 2004 7:29 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

hey, cheater. You have voted twice, once for each. Do not think the elections committee will turn a blind eye to your criminal ways.

Muhaha, your vote has been spoiled.

 
At November 22, 2004 9:07 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Heidi's is better.
Ashley

 

Post a Comment

<< Home