Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

The Power Outage Rethought

Now that I am comfortably warm and soon to eat hot cereal for breakfast, I realize that there are a number of things that I will miss about having no electricity. I have compiled a list below. The main theme is that having no electricity gives you an excuse to do a lot of things that you would otherwise be unable to do. For example, it was OK to:

- Stay in bed all the time as bed was the only remotely warm place in the apartment
- Eat junk food since I couldn't cook and my nutritious fridge food probably spoiled
- Not do homework as it's too dark to read at 5pm and my laptop had no battery power. Also, daylight hours were spent searching for a warm building and looking for supplies
- Not bathe, since there was no hot water. Similarly, it was OK to not do the dishes or clean in anyway (this is only fun for a brief period)
- Wear your pajamas outside. Since it was equally cold everywhere, people slept in their warmest clothes and then left them on during their forays outside
- Use candles for light. They provide such a pleasant ambient light, and I have a million gazillion of them now, so that I believe that I will have to continue this tradition in the evenings.

Today, while I feel like my perspective has already been changed by the fact that I had a warm night's sleep with a hot water bottle, I am already feeling a little nostalgic for the time off. Tomorrow is back to school, which means back to my commitments and my assignments, which are now 2 days even more behind than before. How blissful the darkness was!

1 Comments:

At November 16, 2004 1:02 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Somehow I feel that you're exaggerating about the cold. When you have someone who is as hot as you are, I'm surprised that people weren't gathering in your living room for the warmth. You're hot! hot! hot!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home