Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Saturday, November 20, 2004

These are a few of my favourite books

I haven't been able to think of anything to post for a few days. There have been no more exciting incidences - no snowstorms, no fire drills, etc. I did download another good computer game, but that's hardly worth mentioning. Anyway, I've decided to make a list of my favourite books that I've read for courses this term. All of these books are either Atlantic Canadian or British Gothic. It's an interesting combination. Anyway:

1. Strange Heaven by Lynn Coady
2. Asylum by Patrick McGrath
3. Sleepwalking by Julie Myerson
4. River Thieves by Michael Crummey
5. King of the Castle by Susan Hill
6. River of the Brokenhearted by David Adams Richards

These are in no particular order, just the order that I thought of them. If anyone has free time, I recommend you pick one of these up. Or borrow from me at Christmas (but let me know ahead of time so I know to bring it home).

About posting comments: I know that it looks like you need a blogger account to do so, but you don't really. You can post as Anonymous without getting an account. Go into the comments thing, and when asks you to login, don't, but follow the small link in blue under the login boxes that says, "Post as Anonymous User". This should let you post.

Would anyone read a fictional blog? I've been thinking of starting one about my imagined life, since my ordinary life is not yielding too much. Lately, the only entertaining real-life thing that I can think of is some of the really really bad essays that I had to mark. However, I don't think it's ethical to post excerpts on here (and probably only English people would get why some of it is funny anyway). So, a fictional blog is appearing more and more appealing all the time. Not that I have time to really do it, but wouldn't that be fun? Does anyone want to collaborate on one? I've also been thinking about making one for Nutty Nut. As a superhero, his life provides lots of stuff worth reading about.

I'm working on pictures for this blog. I'll see what I can do, anyway. I was having fun following Dan's suggestion and playing with MS Paint. If I come with anything decent, or exceptionally bad, I'll see if I can figure out how to post it, or even if I can. Those of you who have played Pictionary with me can imagine the results of my experiments (although I've played Pictionary with Andrew before, and I think I can safely say that my art skills are better than his).

I need to get more groceries soon. It's amazing how good eating real food makes you feel. I even had vegetables the other night, and will try some more tonight. Mmmm... so satisfying! So, I'm heading out for that. Wish me luck!

4 Comments:

At November 20, 2004 8:45 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Though I would love to co-author a fictional, creative blog with you, I have a better idea: I challenge you to a doodle duel. I can't believe that you think you are better at Pictionary than me. That is simply not true.

Note to the rest of the world: I rock at Pictionary. So does Heidi. Not only that, but we can take down the world when it comes to Cranuim. Creative gaming, thou hast met thy match. Still, that "I think I can safely say" comment was completely unnecessary.

Anyways, I'll set up the duel. It can be judged by all of our peers, and then you will see that you have called down the wrong person. More from me later when I am ready to kick your MS paint-drawing butt.

 
At November 20, 2004 8:56 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

OK, here are the rules. At exactly 3pm tomorrow (Sunday), you and I will doodle duel. The duel will last for 1/2 an hour. MS paint only, no Photoshop (or I would completely destroy you).

The challenge will be the first suggestion at or after 3:00pm tomorrow, posted on your blog by someone other than you or I. Not 2:59pm, not 2:59:59pm, but 3:00pm or after. Heidi's friends: give us something creative to draw about.

We draw for 1/2 an hour, then we converse for maybe another 1/2 hr and "ctitique" each others' drawings. Then we post our critiques and let our friends, er, judges vote for each of our drawings. The winner is humbled and shamed to the loser, not to mention the loser has to apologize to her bf for the Pictionary crack.

Sound good? 3pm tomorrow!

 
At November 20, 2004 10:07 PM, Blogger Andrew said...

Ah, that should read the loser is humbled to the winner... sigh ... in my blind rage of tossing the glove...

 
At November 21, 2004 7:48 AM, Blogger Heidi said...

3pm EST or AST? This makes a difference. And I will SO kick your butt... I remember the last time we played Pictionary and you drew the guy in a fire thinking about ice cubes to represent... I don't even remember but it wasn't obvious.

I will see you online at 3pm... whatever time zone... And by "see you online" I mean "kick your butt"...

 

Post a Comment

<< Home