Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Saturday, October 28, 2006

Sorry, no picture

There have been happenings afoot in the Taves/Campbell/McLean household. First off, Brad's been in Arizona for the past week or two, looking at cars and cactuses and hardwood (mostly at the cars, though). He seems to be having a good time, judging by the phone calls we've had from him. Then there is Zenon, who, as he never updates his blog anymore I will have to tell you, has accepted those contracts that I mentioned below, and is thinking about hiring people. The business is growing, which is pretty exciting. Because of this, we have decided to stay in Fort McMurray for at least another year, which sucks, but I think will be OK.

This all brings me to my news. I have quit my job! At long last, too. I have been wanting to be out of there for a long time. I think my first round of job searching happened in April. There was then another round in June/July, though I decided to stay at my job until after my vacation. Finally, I did some more job searching recently, and decided this past Monday to quit my job, even though I hadn't found anything new. I gave my notice on Wednesday, saying that my last day would be November 10. My boss was actually really understanding. I told her how I wasn't being challenged anymore, and how I hate being on call, and she was really positive, telling me that I'd made the right choice (which was good to hear, because I'd been agonizing, of course). She then said, "I'd hate for the group of companies to lose you. Maybe we can find you something else." And she did! She put in a good word for me, and now I have a job across the hall from my current office, doing accounts receivable. It all happened so fast - I quit on Wednesday, had an informal job interview on Thursday morning (with 15 minutes' notice... oh the stress!), and had accepted the new position by Friday morning. It was all pretty crazy, but really really cool. It made me feel really good that they wanted to keep me in the company. Also, this means that I can keep my benefits (they are doing this as a transfer), and I won't have any interruptions in my paycheque flow, or vacation seniority. The new job is doing accounts receivable, which will be interesting. I am not sure if I will like it, but at least I won't be bored anymore. I figure that even if I hate the work, I will have lots of it (which will be an amazing change), and I won't be on call anymore. I'll also get one paid Friday off per month, which is pretty cool.

The other thing that is happening with us is that we are thinking about moving. Zenon and I looked at a place the other night that is the main floor of a house, with a huge heated garage included. It is much bigger than our current apartment, and looked really nice. We put in an application, so we'll see what happens. Brad would finally have a full-sized bedroom, and room for all of his stuff. He could also stop sleeping on a Princess and the Pea type bed, and start sleeping on one where you don't need to be an Olympic pole vaulter to get in (because our apartment came furnished, and Brad already had a bed, he has been sleeping on 2 mattresses and 2 bedsprings for the past number of months. The bed is almost as tall as I am).

Yes, happenings and happiness have been afoot. Things are good. Knock on wood.

1 Comments:

At November 22, 2006 9:15 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Heidi!
I am Brad's sister. I got your blog address from Joan. I hope you don't mind my reading but it is nice to hear what is going on with you guys up there! Hope your new place is great!
Maureen

 

Post a Comment

<< Home