Chronicles of Acadia

A blog that never gets updated... Oooh, exciting!

Sunday, January 09, 2005

Webcams are fun

I got a webcam for Christmas, which I've probably mentioned previously. It is neat. I found out today that my parents have bought a webcam as well, as has my sister. My parents were experimenting with theirs today. I got to see them and they could see me. They're on dial-up internet, so it's not the best setup, but it was still neat. I can't believe that they actually got one, but my Mom was excited by the idea of being able to see me when I'm so far away. I also got them to download Skype, an internet telephony program that Andrew and I have been trying out. This program lets you talk to people over the internet, at any distance, for free. It is very handy for Andrew and me since he has only a cell phone, so it's expensive for us to talk even if I call him using my super long distance plan. I tried that program out with my family as well, and it was like being back home. I could both see and hear my parents. It would have been more special if I had been gone longer than 2 days, but it was still neat. I also got to see my sister and my niece as they were over for a visit. I used my webcam to take my Dad on a tour of my apartment, since he's never seen it. I could only show him my living room, balcony and kitchen since I don't have wireless internet, but he got an idea of what it looks like here. If anyone else wants a tour, catch me on MSN sometime.

The other thing I wanted to say is that I've found a webcomic that I absolutely adore. It's called Questionable Content and it cracks me up. It's about these people who have graduated from university and are out in the "real world". They are all into indie culture, which is probably why I like it so much. I HIGHLY recommend it. It also has a very cute tiny robot named Pintsize who is just plain weird. Andrew disagrees with me about this comic's goodness, and insists that Ctrl-Alt-Del is much better. I think that he likes it more because this webcomic is about video games. He is into video games and I am into indie culture, so we both have our favourite webcomics. I recommend Ctrl-Alt-Del as well. It has a penguin in it.

That is mainly all I had to say. I start classes tomorrow, and probably a large part of my day will be spent standing in line to pay my tuition. I'm hoping for the best, though. I am really dreading the end of holidays, but I'm trying to get over it. School at least will give me a reason to leave the apartment, which I have not done since I arrived here in the early hours of Saturday morning. I'm such a homebody, but I like it that way.

2 Comments:

At January 09, 2005 11:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dan here.

As much as I liked Questionable Content (and I did indeed like it), I've gotta agree with Andrew: I prefer Ctrl-Alt-Del. I know what it's like to be a post-university-now-dealing-with-the-real-world kinda guy, and if I'm gonna read about it, I'd rather get the geeky videogame stuff than the same conversation I had with some of the folks at work. I'm honestly surprised that Heidi voted against a comic that featured her fisheating, flightless friends for so long... :P

 
At January 10, 2005 10:19 PM, Blogger Heidi said...

I understand what you're saying Dan about QC being too close to your real life. I just wish that my real life made me laugh my ass off as much as QC does, and that I had an anthroPC like Pintsize. And while it's true that Ctr-Alt-Del does have a penguin who figures quite humourously into the storyline, and I do enjoy that, I just find that I can't identify as much with videogame geeks as I do with indie geeks. If Questionable Content only had a penguin, it would be my favourite thing ever, even better than peach flavoured no-name gelatin dessert and almost as good as Skor bars (I'm hungry).

 

Post a Comment

<< Home